Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Holy Genetic Disorders Batman!

So, being a future first time parent I have been reading anything I can get my grubby little hands on. Whether it is an article about bodily fluids, fetal development, or the natural process of a pregnant ladies abs splitting (yikes). They're all fair game. In addition to this baby obsession I also have been raised mainly in Washington state and California and these states tend to be pretty environmentalist. Edward and I had already decided that we were going to have a go at g diapers. They have a cloth exterior that only needs to be washed when Uschi goes #2 and they have a biodegradable insert that you can flush down the toilet. The insert will biodegrade in roughly a week vs. up to a century with regular plastic diapers. (This is just speculation since plastic was only invented 144 years ago and since then everything that has been created in plastic (except for the small amounts that have been incinerated) is still in existence. We basically have no proof that plastic will biodegrade in 500 to 1000 years or more, and that's kinda scary when you think about it.

Anyway, so a dear friend of mine sent me an article on plastics. It was quite frightening. I have already been paranoid about baby products made in China because of all the lead coming out of there. But getting products made anywhere else, especially baby products is nigh unto impossible. Anyway, come to find out that most plastic bottles are made from bisphenol-A (or BPA) which puts your newly developing baby at risk for mental retardation or genetic abnormalities. There are some plastic bottles that are made out of polyamide and are suppose rid you of the risks associated with BPA. Medula is a brand that has BPA free bottles. So we're going to use those bottles when we're out and about, and glass bottles at home.

Next on the list? Teethers. So I have a friend that's obsessive about the 1800s. She mentioned that glass bottles and the teats used for babies in the 1800s where lined with or leaked lead, which is really creepy. The teethers made today (and many other baby products like the classic rubber duck) are most often made of phthalate-laden PVC which has been linked to cancer and reproductive harm. Yup, talk about creepy.

It almost seems like no matter what I do... little Ursa is probably going to grow a third arm. But no fear, dear friends... Kmart, Sears, Target, Toys "R" Us, and even the store I loathe most, Wal-Mart, have pledged to keep PVC items off the shelves. And if you got a baby gift that is supercalifragilistic. You can always call the manufacturer's toll free number to inquire if it contains any PVC.

Anyhow, this was definitely an interesting read this morning. Good luck to us all.

Over and out.

ps. I linked some reputable articles (like to WebMD and Best Life) to this post so that you can be reassured that I'm not just rambling.

Here are a few more from Time and EcoMall.

5 comments:

Sharae Peterson said...

Glad to hear that someone else hates walmart just as much as I do.

Meridth McKean Gimbel said...

This is one of the many reasons why you are cool, Sharae.

Andersons said...

My kids should be mutants by now! If you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go throw away my sippie cups.

Tim said...

Hey, I hate Walmart, too. Does that mean I'm cool? Seriously, if you wanna see people who literally don't give a flying poop about how they look, go to Walmart...or Costco. I feel downright elegant when I'm at Walmart. Too bad I hate feeling elegant. Plus, I saw a documentary about how evil Walmart's business practices are, and I believe everything I see on TeeVee.

Anyway, back when they found BPAs to be harmful I went out to get a new sports bottle and the BPA-free ones were 50% more expensive. What's up with that? It sounds like you're having to run around to find these baby things even though healthy toys/products should be the norm. Why do only the boutiquey places have these things? And why are the acceptable items so expensive? Good thing those big name retailers are finally getting in on the game.

Ah...I'm ranting, I should stop.

Have a nice day.

~Tim

P.S. No, I'm not done. One more thing. How many chances does china get? Seriously, with all their human rights abuses (Tibet's only the tip of the iceberg), we shouldn't be trading with them at all, especially if we've still got the embargo thingy going Cuba, a much more humane country. And if we are going to trade with them, why haven't we insisted on real change? First there was dog food, then lead in toys. Then they poisoned their own babies with pesticides. Enough is enough!

Okay, I'm done.

P.P.S. I know you're pretty much settled on naming baby Gimbel Ursa...and that's cool. But my word verification is just too good to pass up! How about instead of Ursa, you name her....."LAVULSIS!"

Meridth McKean Gimbel said...

Hehehe. Tim this is certainly one of the millions of reasons you are cool. Thanks for making Edward's and my day.

ps. I loove people watching at Costco or Walmart